Do you know self care can be simple and not expensive. Do you know that self care doesn’t have to take hours if you don’t have the time.
Self care has to work around and with you. Yes you. It can take 5 minutes or 5 hours – it depends on what you can do.
I personally love the idea of a spa or a nice long soak in the bathtub filled with bubbles and relaxation music but being realistic – it’s just not possible for me with my lifestyle.
I am more regular 5-10 minutes a few times a week. I need time to just mentally catch up.
Here are my simple yet effective self care tips that work for me and hopefully you too.
- I love nothing better then to stand bare feet on the grass in my garden. I love to concentrate on the feel of the soil beneath my feet, the grass between my toes and ground myself back to earth. I’ve heard sand at the seaside can be just as effective.
2. Have you ever sat outside and looked up? Seen the sky, the birds, the environment around you? Having a good look around your outside space can free your mind and allow you to see things you’ve not noticed before.
3. Paint your nails – you can buy really good nail polish that dries within 60 seconds. It’s amazing how good you can feel with painted nails. I like Rimmels 60 second super shine.
4. Have a hot shower all to yourself. No children sneaking in with you. Lock the door and take time to clear your thoughts and take time for you. I love to use a body scrub too once a week. My skin feels so soft afterwards.
5. When you wake up have a good stretch and wish yourself a good morning, send yourself some positive thoughts at the start of your day.
6. I love to light one of my Yankee candles and meditate. I love looking into the flame, breathing deeply in through my nose and out through my mouth several times to help clear my mind. I also use crystals to help me and meditation music from YouTube. Not for long though, 10 minutes is normal for me. You only need 5-10 minutes yourself but take as long as you need.
7. Read a book. Find a book you really want to read and if it helps, schedule time into your week to read a few pages or a few chapters.
8. Look after your skin. I love to do is shave and file the dead skin off my feet. I’m being honest! – I hate dry skin on my feet and hairy arm pits and legs! I feel so much better afterwards!
9. Exercise – of any sort. I don’t do running or the gym. I like beginners yoga and beginners pilates because they help strengthen my core and back muscles, I have to be careful with what exercises I do with my back issues. I use YouTube for yoga and pilates.
10. Another thing I like to do is watch my girls when they are sleeping. It helps me remember the magic that happened in my body, the humans I grew within me and the fact I am a mum to my beautiful girls. It helps me refocus any negative thoughts into a positive reality, my life, my present and future. Feeling blessed is very grounding.
11. Try and swop your caffeinated hot drinks to decaffeinated hot drinks. It will help you sleep better and is generally better for your body.
12. Drink more water. If your like me I don’t drink enough water during the day. This is something I am mindful of and working on it.
13. If you have time you can book yourself a massage, go to a spa or go on a girly shopping day. Just find something that will make you feel good.
We only live one life. Look after yourself.
Do you have any simple effective self care tips?